As promised, a million weeks ago (or 3 to be exact), Tim is guest posting this week with his Top 5 supplements for working out, recovering, and just living a healthy lifestyle.
In no particular order:
1. MusclePharm Assault Pre Workout (favorite flavors are Blue Arctic Raspberry or Raspberry Lemonade): I start drinking Assault (1/2 to 1 scoop mixed with 8-12 oz of water in shaker) approximately 30 minutes before I head to the gym and usually finish it during the beginning of my workout. Assault is a pre-workout energizer that contains caffeine, BCAAs (branch chain amino acids), creatine, and other vitamins. It is low sugar and only 40 calories per 1/2 scoop. I like taking pre-workout because it helps to motivate to get to the gym and gives me that push to get in those last few extra reps.
2. MusclePharm Recon BCAAs (favorite flavor is Watermelon): I take BCAAs when I get home from the gym to aid in the recovery after a hard workout. I mix 1 scoop with 12-16 oz of water in a shaker bottle. BCAAs (in the most simple of terms) are the building blocks for protein. MusclePharm Recon has a 7 stage approach to revering: Replenish, Rebuild, Recovery, Recharge, Refuel, Reload, Regenerate. Each of Recon’s ingredients help in someway to recover my muscles faster so I can hit the gym refreshed and stronger the next day. I even take BCAAs on my off days following the days after hard workouts.
3. Optimum Fish Oil: I am sure you have heard a lot about fish oil. Fish oil is a natural supplement with Omega 3 essential fatty acids. I take 1 fish oil capsule three times a day with my multivitamins. For an interesting article about fish oil, check out bodybuilding.com
4. Optimum Gold Standard Whey Protein (Favorite Flavor is Chocolate Malt): Whey protein also helps in muscle recovery along with BCAAs. I like to take a scoop of protein as a mid afternoon snack (around 330pm) and post workout after Recon. Each scoop has 24 grams of rapidly digesting protein that helps build muscle. I like Optimum because of their wide variety of flavors and each scoop is low calorie (120 calories a scoop), low fat, and low sugar.
5. MusclePharm Armor V Multivitamin: I take 2 servings (spread out over the course of the day). Each serving is 6 capsules and I take 4 capsules three times a day. It may seem extensive but multivitamins (Armor V is a mixture of vitamins, minerals, fats, and probiotics) help to support your immune system, promote healthy digestion, and makes sure you have enough of the nutrients your body needs to be healthy.
All of the above supplements can be found at bodybuilding.com. These are just a few of my favorite supplements that I take throughout the year. When I am looking to bulk, I add other supplements such as a nighttime recovery (MusclePharm Bulletproof), creatine (Optimum Micronized Creatine Powder), and other amino acids (Optimum Essential AmiN.O. Energy).
I hope you all enjoyed Tim’s guest post about supplements. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to leave them in the comments and I will make sure to forward them to him. Happy Tuesday!