I have been going to CrossFit now for a week and a half and have already done 6 WOD’s at the “box.” It is such a different workout than I am used to and I think that is why I like it. I already feel stronger and lie in my bed every night refreshing the website of the box so I can see what the next day’s workout is.
If you have never done CrossFit and are stuck in a workout rut, I highly suggest even just trying it. Most gyms (oh yeah, “boxes”), should let you try it out for a week free. It is expensive (to most people) so making sure you have the time to see if you like it is definitely worth your time, and your pocket.
Here are some reasons why I am already a CrossFit lover:
- GREAT Atmosphere– The first day I walked in, I knew I was going to like it. Everyone was working out together or just hanging out and socializing. The socializing part usually happens after the workout. During the workout, the people that may finish before you come over and try to help you through it and cheer you on. I found a great quote on pinterest describing the CrossFit attitude: “CrossFit, the only sport where the loudest cheers are for the last to finish.”
- GREAT People– I am sure reasons 1 and 2 depend on the gym you pick, but CrossFit Bel Air has some great people who are very willing to help. Everyone is a team! I have been going to the gym at work for 2 years and although I know many people there because I work with some of them, you don’t usually have someone just walk up to you, shake your hand, and introduce themselves. They do here!
- Short on time?– Workouts don’t last longer than an hour. The warm-up is usually around 10-15 minutes and the Workout of the Day (WOD) can last anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes. Cool down is stretching and foam rolling and you are out the door. And don’t worry, you will DEFINITELY feel like you had a workout. You probably will feel like you did more than your 60 minutes on the treadmill.
- Kicks your ASS– Like I mentioned above, these workouts (even the 5 minute ones) will kick your booty. It’s a lot of fast movements and switching between exercises without a break in between. For some of the CrossFit WOD’s I did last week, check out my Weekly Workout post.
- Addicting– After my first WOD, I couldn’t wait to go back and see what was in store for the next workout. Each day, I like to see what kind of workouts will be done and I love learning the new exercises and see what my body can accomplish.
- Results– And speaking of accomplishments, I didn’t realize that in my first week I would be doing 75 pullups!!! I may be using a resistance band (I am not that strong yet) but it is amazing to see what your body can do if you give in to the workout and try your best.
If you haven’t tried CrossFit, give it a chance. If you don’t like it, then at least you know you don’t like it and you tried it. If you do like it, TELL ME WHY! I can chat all day about CrossFit. If you live in the Central Maryland area, check out CrossFit Bel Air. If you don’t, you can see a list of the boxes in your area here.
Also, to get myself ready for the day I finally was going to get my butt to a CrossFit box, I worked on some of the CrossFit movements by doing Home and No Gym WOD’s.
Off to CrossFit. On today’s agenda: Push Press, Pullups, and Pistol Squats OH MY! GET AFTER IT!